Deborah J. Chollet
Senior fellow Deborah Chollet conducts and manages research on private health insurance coverage, markets, provider payments, and regulation—including employer-sponsored health plans, individual health insurance, health insurance exchanges, and high risk programs.
She has been or is currently the principal investigator and project director in state health policy research projects for Alabama, California, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Washington, Wyoming, and other states. Under grants from various foundations, Chollet has evaluated risk selection in state programs to expand small-employer and individual coverage, modeled hospital payment incentives to reduce avoidable readmissions, and analyzed incentives for small employers to self-insure under the Affordable Care Act.
Chollet has served on the national advisory council for the California Health Benefits Review Board since its inception. She is a founding member of the National Academy of Social Insurance and serves on the editorial boards of Benefits Quarterly and the Journal of Insurance Issues.
Her previous positions include vice president of AcademyHealth; director of the Center for Risk Management and Insurance Research and associate professor of risk management and insurance at Georgia State University; senior researcher at the Employee Benefit Research Institute; and assistant professor of economics at Temple University.
Chollet has published widely in peer-reviewed journals and testified on health care insurance and coverage issues before the U.S. Congress as well as many state legislatures. She holds a Ph.D. in economics from the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs at Syracuse University..
Less Detail More Detail
- Areas of Expertise
- Key Projects
- Professional Activities
- Private health insurance regulation and practice
- Employer-sponsored health plans for workers and retirees, individual health insurance, and state high risk pools
- State health policy and coverage programs
- Commercial Health Insurance and Public Sector Health Coverage Technical Assistance
- Analysis of Health Care Provider and Health Care Payer Cost Trends
- Establishing Health Care Spending Projections and Certifying Actual Health Care Spending
- Founding member, National Academy of Social Insurance
- National Advisory Committee, California Health Benefits Review Board
- Editorial boards of Benefits Quarterly and Journal of Insurance Issues