The School District of Philadelphia has embarked on a multiyear effort to improve the outcomes of students in low-performing schools.
Making progress on programs from preschool to adult education.Read more
Behavioral nudges boost number who apply, as well as selectivity of colleges they target.
A high-quality education is critical to the future of our nation's children and our country's economic success, but many lack access to effective teachers and schools. Mathematica studies public and private efforts to improve the quality of education and competitiveness of our workforce. Our work helps advance the science of education research and further discourse about education reform.
Evaluation of the School District of Philadelphia’s Renaissance Initiative and Turnaround Network
Evaluation of the Atlanta Public Schools Turnaround Strategy
Atlanta Public Schools (APS) implements several key programs as part of a Turnaround Strategy to transform its lowest-performing schools and increase students’ achievement.
Steven Glazerman has expertise in methods for evaluating the impact of social programs and in teacher labor markets, including issues of teacher recruitment, professional development, alternative certification, performance measurement, and compensation.Featured Projects
- Evaluating the Chicago Teacher Advancement Program (Chicago TAP)
- Talent Transfer Initiative: Attracting and Retaining High-Performing Teachers in Low-Performing Schools
- Do Disadvantaged Students Get Less Effective Teaching? Key Findings from Recent Institute of Education Sciences Studies (Evaluation Brief)
- Do Disadvantaged Students Get Less Effective Teaching? Key Findings from Recent Institute of Education Sciences Studies (Technical Appendix)
- Teacher and Principal Effectiveness
- School Choice and Charters
- Strengthening and Disseminating Research
helped raise the math and reading test scores of elementary students by 4 to 10 percentile points.