The Soma Umenye program, formerly known as Literacy Enhanced Across Rwanda Now (LEARN), aims to improve local language reading skills of children in the first three years of primary school. It is being implemented in all public and public-assisted primary schools in Rwanda in three phases.
Effective Data Use
When used effectively, data can be a powerful tool for evidence-based decision making. Student and teacher data, if analyzed appropriately, can improve instructional practices and inform other school reforms.
Our staff have provided advice to many stakeholders—foundations, federal agencies, states, and districts—on how to use data to inform education policies and decisions. We have helped these stakeholders develop better measures of teacher and leader effectiveness that incorporate measures of students' learning, classroom observations, and other measures of performance. In addition, we are evaluating interventions designed to help teachers make use of data from formative student assessments to improve their instruction.
Soma Umenye, Literacy Enhanced Across Rwanda Now
Charleston County School District Multi-Dimensional Educator Evaluation Framework and Educator Effectiveness Rating System
Mathematica is designing evaluation models for both teachers and school administrators, designing and producing value-added models, and providing technical and analytic assistance.
Cecilia Speroni examines issues in education policy, including teacher and principal effectiveness; the use of data in education decision-making; and fostering student engagement in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) fields.Featured Projects
- Pay-for-Performance: Evaluating the Teacher Incentive Fund
- The International Research Experiences for Students Program
- Bridging the Gap in Workforce and Education Services: Career Coaching in the Virginia RETHINKS Health Sciences Education TAACCCT Program
- Impact Evaluation of the RWJF Summer Medical and Dental Education Program (SMDEP)
- College and Career Readiness
- Effective Data Use
- Strengthening and Disseminating Research
- Teacher and Principal Effectiveness
- Labor: Strengthening and Disseminating Research
- Human Services