The Wallace Foundation commissioned three literature syntheses on topics related to school leadership. Mathematica is working with Vanderbilt University on a synthesis focused on the topic of assistant principals (APs). The synthesis aims to address two key questions.
Teacher and Principal Preparation and Support
Teachers matter. Nothing in a school day is more important for student achievement than the skills of teachers. Mathematica has a long history of studying how teachers are prepared for, supported, and perform in the classroom. Principals have also been shown to have an important influence on student achievement. Mathematica is studying intensive supports for principals and how they affect school, teacher, and student outcomes.
A Research Synthesis of the Role of Assistant Principals and Pathways to the Principalship
Mariesa Herrmann specializes in designing and conducting education evaluations. Her research has focused on policies intended to improve educator effectiveness such as teacher and principal evaluation, pay-for-performance, and intensive professional development.Featured Projects
- Evaluating Race to the Top and School Improvement Grants
- Value-Added Assessment System for DC Schools and Teachers
- Shrinkage of Value-Added Estimates and Characteristics of Students with Hard-to-Predict Achievement Levels (Journal Article)
- Are Low Performing Schools Adopting Practices Promoted by School Improvement Grants (SIG)?
- School Reform
- Teacher and Principal Effectiveness
- Teacher and Principal Preparation and Support
- Human Services