The What Works Clearinghouse collects, reviews, and reports on studies of education interventions. The growing focus on evidence-based decision making has increased demand for this type of information.
Teacher and Principal Preparation and Support
Teachers matter. Nothing in a school day is more important for student achievement than the skills of teachers. Mathematica has a long history of studying how teachers are prepared for, supported, and perform in the classroom. Principals have also been shown to have an important influence on student achievement. Mathematica is studying intensive supports for principals and how they affect school, teacher, and student outcomes.
Tanzania Early Childhood Learning Agenda
Quality pre-primary education is seen as the cornerstone of an effective education strategy in Tanzania. The Tanzania Primary Education Development Plan III (PEDP) 2012–2016 and the new draft, Education Sector Development Plan 2016/2017–2020/2021, articulate core priorities and strategic direction.
Melissa Clark specializes in the design and implementation of rigorous impact evaluations, with a focus on education policy.Featured Projects
- Study of Feedback for Teachers Based on Classroom Videos
- Secondary Math Teachers from Teach For America and the Teaching Fellows Programs
- Supplying Disadvantaged Schools with Effective Teachers: Experimental Evidence on Secondary Math Teachers from Teach For America
- The Effectiveness of Secondary Math Teachers from Teach For America and the Teaching Fellows Programs (Presentation)
- Teacher and Principal Effectiveness
- Teacher and Principal Preparation and Support
- School Choice and Charters