The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) subsidized COBRA premiums for workers laid off from fall 2008 to spring 2010. Mathematica examined the effect of the subsidy on takeup of COBRA coverage and other health and employment outcomes.
Unemployment insurance is an important support for jobless Americans, although how best to structure benefits is the subject of ongoing debate. We are evaluating the overall efficiency and effectiveness of the unemployment compensation provisions of ARRA, addressing questions relating to extended and emergency benefits that became available through the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2008 (EUC08) and related legislation. Reducing veteran unemployment is another special policy concern, and the Army UCX Claimants initiative awarded grants to Georgia, Illinois, North Carolina, and Texas, states with large veteran populations, to spur improvement in reemployment services for this group. Mathematica is evaluating this pilot initiative, which leverages assets and shares data across the unemployment insurance and workforce systems and the Army, examining projects in each state and identifying the extent to which they achieve the initiative's goals.
Helping Veterans Search for Work: Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers' Claimants Evaluation
The rise in the number of veterans receiving Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Servicemembers and the cost of this program have led to an initiative to support improved outreach and services. We evaluated projects in four states.
Annalisa Mastri designs and conducts experimental and nonexperimental evaluations of employment and family support interventions.Featured Projects
- Clearinghouse for Labor Evaluation and Research (CLEAR)
- The Pathways to Work Evidence Clearinghouse: The What Works Clearinghouse of Proven and Promising Approaches to Move Welfare Recipients to Work
- Using Evidence-Informed Practices to Advance Youth Self-Sufficiency and Well-Being (Presentation)
- Designing a National Evaluation of an Ongoing Program: Lessons from the WIA Adult and Dislocated Worker Programs Gold Standard Evaluation
- Training and Re-employment
- Unemployment Insurance
- Family Support
- TANF and Employment Issues
- Human Services