This evaluation examined implementation, processes, and strategies grantee clusters use to accelerate regional economic development, and whether federal funding and program structure accelerate the creation of high-wage jobs and innovation.
Economic Development Job Creation and Entrepreneurship
Many individuals are motivated and capable of developing small businesses but lack access to credit or have little business expertise. Recognizing this untapped potential, DOL initiated a demonstration to test ways of helping emerging entrepreneurs create, sustain, and/or expand their existing small businesses. We evaluated this initiative, Project GATE (Growing America Through Entrepreneurship), finding that it had a small but significant effect on business ownership. We also conduct the Kauffman Firm Survey, the largest longitudinal survey of new businesses in the world, to catalyze understanding of how various factors influence entrepreneurship.
Jobs and Innovation Accelerator Challenge Grants Evaluation
Zambia: Increasing Economic and Social Empowerment for Girls and Women
Mathematica is evaluating the EMPOWER: Increasing Economic and Social Empowerment for Adolescent Girls and Vulnerable Women project, implemented by Winrock International and funded by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Nan Maxwell evaluates labor policies targeted at increasing employment and compensation for disadvantaged workers.Featured Projects
- Youth CareerConnect Evaluation
- Best Practices for TAACCCT Grantees: Identifying Effective Strategies to Improve the Lives of Low-Skilled Adults
- Bridging the Gap in Workforce and Education Services: Career Coaching in the Virginia RETHINKS Health Sciences Education TAACCCT Program
- Data and Decision Making: Same Organization, Different Perceptions
- Economic Development ,Job Creation, and Entrepreneurship
- Training and Re-employment
- Youth Employment
- Human Services